Sunday, January 20, 2013

Religious Discrimination

Hello everyone.

Today, my topic is religious discrimination. As a pagan, you would think that I'd be talking about discrimination against paganism, but I come to you today with words about discrimination against Christianity.

When I was younger, I rebelled against my father's side of the family. They are a very Christian family and having their religion pushed on me was something I always hated. Because of this, I decided that I hated Christians. Now, I was young, maybe 11 years old when this hate began, and it stayed with me for years.

In recent years, however, I have reevaluated my various Hates that I have carried with me and I have shed many of them, Christianity being one. Because of my bad experience with particular Christians when I was younger, I assumed that all Christians tried to push their religion on to other people, and because of this I wanted nothing to do with any of them.

Over the years, I have met many Christians who are okay with others having their own religious beliefs and who are really very nice people. At first, this shocked me. Then I realized that Christians who really follow scripture and believe in things such as "love thy neighbor," have a great spiritual system that they follow, and it makes them happy. Who am I to say that I can live by my spiritual system, but they can't live by theirs?

I've opened my eyes and seen a bigger picture now. It's bigger than feuding religions. It's a picture of acceptance and peace. My advice to my readers today is simple: love thy neighbor. This may be a Christian quote, but it's a quality life application we should all live by.

Pagan, Christian, Buddhist, Hindi, Islam, Jewish, whatever. See the bigger picture. Know that someone's spiritual system makes them happy. Accept that. Don't hate a person or a group of people because of their religion. Ask them what gives them satisfaction. Leave your mind open to new possibilities. Blessed be!

Be Seeing You!

Image found on Google

No comments:

Post a Comment