Saturday, January 14, 2012

The Hermit's Song

This is a poem/song I found in a book called The Celtic Book of Seasonal Meditations. It reminded me of a friend of mine who identifies with the tarot card the Hermit.


The Hermit's Song

Dear to me is my little hut in the woods
Where pine-nuts and berries are my food
And the sweet well-water which refreshes me.

Sad would I be to leave my brothers the trees
For to me they are a living temple of my God
Which the wind makes to speak his praise continually.

Dear to me also are my little brothers the birds
Who daily sing their offices at dawn and dusk,
And the woodland creatures who keep vigil with me.

Sad would I be to leave the herbs and plants and grasses
That have been my strength and salve in times of weakness,
And the living streams that tongue the praises of my God.

Dear to me is my little brother the fish
Who joyously jumps from the well to feed me
And nourishes body and soul with his wisdom.

The Hermit Tarot Card
 

1 comment:

  1. That was absolutly beautiful in it's simplicity. I have felt this way many times on long walks in the woods, I would have liked to meet the author of this... Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete